Main article content
1. Why we collect your personal information
Positive Media Inc is a non-profit organisation with the vision ‘to see every life alight with Christian Hope. Our activities are focused around our community radio license granted by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) to serve Christians and those interested in spirituality. This license gives us the opportunity to broadcast community radio 24 hours per day throughout the year on two stations to provide a voice of hope into the city of Melbourne.
We engage with our community through the following activities:
- We communicate Christian Hope through remarkable content that positively impacts the personal journey of each member of our audience.
- We interact with our audience through them listening to our broadcast, phoning into our station shows and participating in our competitions.
- We allow our audience to volunteer in the running of the station, to donate to the running of the station either through regular or ‘one off’ giving and to advocate for us with their community.
- We provide sponsorship opportunities for supporters of the station and we participate in selected community events.
The aim of all these engagements with our community is to assist them in finding, developing, and cementing their transformational journey within Christianity. To participate in certain programs or activities, we need to collect some information from those who want to be involved, enabling us to communicate with them and provide the requested services.
2. What personal and sensitive information we collect
The information that we collect about you will vary depending on the nature of involvement and the activities that you choose to be involved in. We endeavour to only ask you for information that is reasonably necessary for the activities you seek to be involved in. You are not required to provide the personal and/or sensitive information that we request, but if you chose not to provide it, it may hinder or prevent your involvement or inclusion in some activities and communications.
The information that we collect includes:
- contact details (name, address, telephone numbers, email, etc.).
- personal details (birthdate, marital status, gender, etc.).
- family details (spouse, children, etc.).
- education qualifications and occupation information (profession, job title, etc.).
Some personal information is considered ‘sensitive information’. At times we may collect sensitive information about you, but only with your consent, including:
- health information.
- religious information (church affiliation, spiritual milestones)
- professional and practice information.
- criminal record; and
- credit card details.
3. How we collect your information
We collect information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impractical to do so. At times we do collect information about you from third parties, but only where necessary to provide you with services or where you request your details to be passed on to us.
We collect personal information about listeners, supporters, donors, volunteers, employees, contractors, and visitors by:
- any of the forms on our website, mobile app, other electronic means, or paper forms (contact form, newsletter sign-up, community calendar, event registration, competition entries, etc.);
- when you donate.
- face-to-face meetings.
- email or social media message or conversation.
- SMS/text messages.
- phone calls; and
- voice or image recording.
We will advise you of the purposes for collecting the information at the point that it is collected, and of any third parties to whom the information is usually disclosed.
4. Unsolicited collection of personal or sensitive information
At times we may discover personal or sensitive information about you from a third party. If it is not necessary for conducting Positive Media Inc activities, or we are unable to advise you, we will take steps to destroy or de-identify the information if it is lawful and reasonable to do so.
5. Security and holding of your personal information
We take reasonable steps to protect the personal and sensitive information we hold from interference, misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification, or disclosure.
Our IT systems are password protected and comply with applicable security standards. Only authorised personnel are permitted to access your data. Where we use cloud storage, we take all reasonable steps to ensure that the providers we use have privacy policies in place that comply with Australian privacy regulations and principles.
It is our policy to permanently de-identify personal information where reasonable and possible; and destroy personal information once there is no longer a legal or other need for us to retain it.
6. How we use your information
We only use your personal and sensitive information for the reason we collect it as outlined above and for the purpose(s) for which it was collected and for any other purposes that you consent to, or as otherwise reasonably expected or permitted by law.
Ways that we may use your information include to:
- Give you access to our websites and to the content and other things on our websites.
- Enter you into competitions and promotions (upon request).
- Market our products and services (or those of other people) to you, including by email.
- Manage and respond to any complaints or queries you have in relation to our services.
- Inform you of changes to our websites, or our business, or to the content and other things available from the websites; and
- Conduct our internal business purposes – for example, to research and develop the websites and our other products and services
7. Anonymity and Pseudonymity
Where practicable and lawful, we will endeavour to provide you with the option of interacting anonymously or by using a pseudonym. However, this may prevent us from practically and effectively communicating with you.
8. Direct marketing
At times we will use your personal information to directly communicate with you about topics which we think you would be interested in, and be of benefit to you, such as events or courses. We may also contact you about donation opportunities that are in line with previous donations you have made to us. These communications will typically be in the form of email or SMS text message. We will always give you the ability to opt-out of these communications, unless the communication is required for involvement in a specific event, or as part of a service you have requested.
9. Accessing your personal information
You can gain free access to your personal and sensitive information by requesting it from us. In some circumstances, we may need to deny your access request, for example where:
- granting you access would have an unreasonable impact on someone else’s privacy; or
- any other reason as consistent with the Privacy Act.
In such a situation we will provide you with an explanation in writing for why access is denied, including information on the process for a complaint regarding the refusal.
10. Correcting your personal information
We take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold and collect is relevant, accurate, complete and up to date. However, the accuracy of the information we hold depends to a large extent on the information you provide.
Please help us by:
- letting us know if there are any errors in the information, we hold about you; and
- keeping us informed of any changes to your information, such as changes to your name or address.
11. Online privacy
We are committed to protect your privacy on our websites and mobile app. All access to our public websites and mobile app is anonymous, except for any areas where you login with your own account or enter your personal information.
When you visit our public websites and mobile app, a record of your visit is logged which includes the following data:
- The date, time, and length of your visit.
- Your IP address and/or domain name.
- Your operating system and device type (type of browser and platform); and
- The pages and resources you accessed and the documents you downloaded.
A cookie is a small file with a unique ID which your browser saves to your computer. It does not contain any personally identifiable information, but it enables websites to track visitor movements and preferences. We may place a cookie on your device to enable us to deliver ads about our services or promotions to you when you visit third-party websites that use the same Google advertising platform. This cookie only knows that you visited our website or app and does not contain any personally identifiable data. If you prefer to disable cookies, instructions for doing so can be found in the Help section of your web browser.
Note that disabling cookies on our website will prevent us from being able to display advertisements to you on third-party websites that promote our services, or those of our station sponsors which may be relevant to you.
Our website and mobile app may contain links to third party websites, and third-party websites may also have links to our website.
We encourage you to read the privacy policies of any website or mobile app you link to from our website or mobile app.
12. Disclosure of your information
At times we may make some personal information available to strategic partners that work with us to provide services or assist us in our mission, but only where we have your consent to do so. We also make some personal and sensitive information available to some key Positive Media Inc volunteers, where they have signed a confidentiality agreement, for them to provide services or perform certain functions under the oversight of staff. This does not reduce our commitment to your privacy. We work with our staff and volunteers to ensure that your privacy is respected and secured in line with this policy.
Any disclosure of your personal information to recipients other than our strategic partners or volunteers will only occur if we have your permission, or:
- the disclosure is required or authorised by law or court order; and
- doing so does not breach the Australian Privacy Principles; and
- the recipient of the information is subject to a law or binding scheme that has the effect of protecting the information that is substantially like the way in which the Australian Privacy Principles protects the information. We may sometimes share non-personal, non-sensitive and de-identified information with research organisations.
13. Privacy questions and complaints
We read all communications and reply where appropriate as soon as possible. To effectively address your complaint, we may request further information from you about it before we address it. If you are not satisfied with our response, you may refer your complaint to the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) on http://www.oaic.gov.au/.
Positive Media Inc.
333 Mitcham Road,
Mitcham, Victoria, 3132
Version: 16 June 2020